ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS BY LEVEL:
NCI: As an Enterprise Protected-Domain Name Service (EP-DNS) Systems Engineer – Senior, you will provide services in support of the U.S. Army Network Enterprise Technology Command (NETCOM). You will provide operational and technical engineering support for the implementation, testing, integration, interoperability, and sustainment of information technologies comprising NETCOM Enterprise capabilities. You will support engineering support, testing and technical support in the implementation of the Network Operations (NetOps) capabilities. Support government efforts in continued deployment of enterprise NetOps capabilities that directly support the Army’s maturing transformation and modularity concepts, doctrine, architecture, and organizations.
Highlights of responsibilities:
- Provide Information Assurance (IA) support for the Internet Protocol version 4 (IPv4) and IPv6, Domain Name Service Security Extensions, and Architectural Support Land Warrior Network (LandWarNet) for the EP-DNS supporting classified and unclassified networks in the Army Enterprise.
- Provide engineering, testing, documentation, and technical support in the implementation of the EP-DNS software applications and related hardware.
- Patch and upgrade, in a test environment, Oracle database Infoblox appliance, and Solaris Operating System software for the U.S. Army's EP-DNS.
- Create a shell, in a test environment, using Practical Extraction and Report Language (PERL) and Standard Query Language (SQL) Plus to automate data-gathering tasks.
- Install and configure, in a test environment, enterprise-level Oracle database servers, Infoblox appliances, Solaris-based domain name servers, and Java Runtime Environments.
- Modify, in a test environment, the LandWarNet architecture design of the Army EP-DNS infrastructure and Internet domain name resolution/Internet Protocol (IP) schema.
- Monitor and audit the Army's Transmission Control Protocol (TCP)/IP address scheme across the LandWarNet.
- Write white papers, technical notes, test engineering reports, Engineering Considerations (EC), software maintenance updates (SMU), and ECPs.
- Provide technical support to Army customers, field engineers, technicians, and product support personnel who are diagnosing, troubleshooting, repairing, and debugging EP-DNS hardware and software problems.
- Coordinate, test, and implement, in a test environment, EP-DNS security upgrades.
- Create software upgrades and implement software patches to the Sun Solaris 10/11 Operating System, Oracle 10/11 Database, Infoblox Trinzinc, and Lucent Vital QIP DNS software.
- Research Information Assurance Vulnerability Management (IAVM) alerts and vulnerabilities in Internet Systems Consortium (ISC) Berkeley Internet Name Domain (BIND) software
- Perform security scans on EP-DNS servers using Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA) Security Technical Implementation Guides (STIG) for UNIX and Oracle databases.
- Identify security impacts to the EP-DNS, and design, implement, and maintain the secured EP-DNS baseline.
- Develop incidental technical documentation and drawings as may be necessary.
- Review engineering designs, system designs, engineering concept of operations, and ECPs all based on DNS designs.
SYSTEMS ENGINEER IV
- Provides consulting services to members of the professional staff and to the customer in the analysis and design of data processing systems, management systems, scientific systems, and other related areas
- Makes technical decisions on kinds of data to be gathered and methods to be used in data collection and analysis
- Provides technical direction, guidance, and assistance to assigned projects, suggesting efficient approaches and methods for solving problems
- Develops analytical and computational techniques and methodology for problem solution
- Prepares and presents written and oral reports
- Prepares and presents proposals, or portions thereof, primarily in field of specialty
- Analyzes, diagnoses, and recommends solutions to complex problems
- Serves as principal analyst for research project
- Develops advanced concepts of automation and information processing, display, control, and transfer for various subsystems
- Conducts research and analysis of algorithms and defines data structures that lead to highly efficient system design parameters
- Performs related work as required
- Work is performed under the general direction of a senior level manager
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates and client personnel at all levels
- Ability to work in a normal office environment
- Cost management responsibility within assigned area